General knowledge is a wide range of general interesting facts on different subjects, including culture, society, civilization, the human body, the animal kingdom, space, automobiles, cuisine, communities and countries. GK facts for students help them in interviews and debates. It earns them the respect of their peers and admiration from their teachers.
Quizzes on general knowledge are also a great way to entertain students and spark a sense of competitions amongst each other.
General knowledge is the ability to learn and retain easily accessible information. It consists of all the information that a person has learned that is not job-specific. General knowledge covers a wide range of subjects including history, geography, current affairs and the arts.
GK questions are very popular in competitive exams such as SSC CGL Tier II, IBPS PO/Clerk Mains Exam etc.
Interesting GK questions are always asked in interviews. These questions help you to crack any interview in no time.
So all in all General knowledge is the sum of all the information you know about a particular subject, as opposed to specialized or technical knowledge.
It is important to keep your general knowledge sharpened up so that you’re not caught off guard by a question in an interview, a competitive exam, or a group discussion.
In the article that follows we have captured some latest and amazing gk facts in english for the reader to keep the aloof of what has happened or is happening around them.
GK facts about India
- India’s name comes from the Indus River which runs through the country and which was known as Sindhu in ancient times.
- India is one of the most diverse countries in the world, with 31 official languages and 14 major religions.
- India is a union of 29 states and 7 union territories, each with its own government, parliament and Supreme Court
- The Constitution of India was adopted on 26th November 1949.
- India is the world’s largest democracy, with a parliamentary system of government.
- India has a democratic government with three branches: legislative, executive and judicial.
- The national flag of India has three colors: green, white and orange; they symbolize agriculture, peace and courage respectively.
- The Himalayas in India are the highest mountain range in the world. They extend from Kashmir to Arunachal Pradesh covering an area of about 2,500 miles long and about 600 miles wide (4,000 km).
- The national anthem of India was adopted on 24 January 1950. The words and music were written by Rabindranath Tagore.
- The Taj Mahal In Agra India is one of the most beautiful monuments in the world built by Shah Jahan
GK facts about science
- The word science is derived from the Latin word scientia, meaning “knowledge”.
- The first man-made object to enter earth’s orbit was the Soviet satellite Sputnik I, launched on October 4, 1957.
- A human being’s heart beats approximately 100,000 times a day.
- Albert Einstein – He was the first person in history to be awarded a Nobel Prize in Physics.
- A human hair is 1000 times thinner than a typical strand of spider silk, which can be produced by some species at up to 5 metres per second.
- The first ever photograph was taken by Louis Daguerre in 1838
- The electron was discovered by J.J. Thomson in 1897.
- The first television transmission was made on January 27, 1927 by John Logie Baird in London, UK.
- The number of species on Earth is estimated to be between 10 million and 100 million.
- The largest mammal on earth is the blue whale, which can weigh up to 150 tons!
GK facts about animals
- An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain!
- Butterflies taste with their feet instead of their mouths!
- The blue whale’s heart is the size of a small car and it can weigh up to 1,000 pounds
- A hummingbird weighs less than a penny but beats its wings 80 times per second when it flies!
- There are over 10,000 different types of snakes in the world, but only 25 of them are dangerous to humans.
- The longest living animal is the sea sponge which can live up to 10,000 years.
- The smallest animal in the world is the Etruscan shrew which weighs only 0.17 grams and measures 1 inch in length (2.5 cm).
- The most venomous snake in the world is the inland taipan found in Australia which has a venom that is 1000 times more toxic than rattlesnake venom.
- Dogs can smell things that are hundreds of miles away! Their sense of smell is 10,000 times better than ours! Dogs also have a much better sense of hearing than humans do — they can hear sounds at four times the distance we can!
- Dolphins sleep with one eye open because they need to be aware of their surroundings at all times for protection against predators such as sharks or killer whales (orcas)
GK facts about world
- The highest mountain in the world is Mount Everest, which is about 8,848 metres high.
- The longest river in the world is River Nile in Egypt, which runs 4,145 miles (6,670 km).
- The lowest point in the world is Dead Sea, which lies 1,378 feet (420 m) below sea level.
- The deepest part of any ocean trench is the Mariana Trench near Guam – it’s over 6 miles deep.
- The tallest man-made structure in the world is Burj Khalifa Tower in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, which stands 828 metres high.
- The smallest country in the world is Vatican, which is 0.44 square km in size.
- The largest country in the world is Russia with a population of 142 million people and an area of 17,075,400 sq km.
- Antarctica is the coldest continent on Earth with an average temperature of -74 degrees Celsius.
- The longest bridge in the world is the China Yangtze River Bridge, which spans up to 55 kilometres long.
- The average person spends about 2 years on Facebook, 6 months on WhatsApp, and 4 minutes on Twitter in a lifetime.
GK facts on Human Body
- The human body is made up of approximately 60% water.
- The average person takes 21,000 breaths every day.
- There are approximately 7,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body.
- The average person has around 635 muscles in their body.
- The largest human organ is the skin. It accounts for 15% of total body weight.
- The brain weighs about 3 pounds, but eats up 20 percent of the body’s oxygen supply at rest and 25 percent during exercise.
- There are over 100 billion bacteria cells living in your digestive system at any given time! These bacteria play an important role in digesting food and producing nutrients for your body to use.
- The average person spends about eight years of their life sleeping.
- The body needs at least 2 litres of water a day to stay healthy and hydrated.
- The fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than the hair.
Gk facts are the most useful and beneficial facts for all people. This kind of general knowledge questions and their answers is beneficial in a lot of way. It is important to know Gk because it will aid you a lot in various courses like exams, interviews, etc